It’s been awhile now since I’ve wrote anything down but I am currently in day 3 of isolation from my radiation pill that I took this past Monday. Day 1 was ok for the most part until the afternoon when I started feeling really nauseous and sick. My neck was sore, my jaw felt swollen and all I wanted to do was sleep to try to avoid throwing up. Day 2 started exactly how day 1 ended, it was all I could do to not get sick and my mouth started taking on a funny taste and my eyes became really dry, all this on top of the pain in my neck and nauseous feeling. All In all,  a pretty miserable 2 days to start things off. 

I have been looking forward to day 3 ever since I went on Monday because while I still have to be in isolation, I can go back to eating whatever I want and start taking my medicine again! Win win situation is what I was thinking!  It has been to an extent, but It’s also frustrating. Let’s start with the good, I ate what was quite possibly the best sandwich I’ve ever eaten earlier. Not saying the contents of the sandwich made it the best ever, (I mean it was bologna and Swiss cheese with dijon mustard on wheat and oats bread) nothing fancy, but I have not been able to have any of those items for the last 16 days and it just was so good to be able to eat something with flavor and substance again! I definitely want to keep some of the meals I cooked from the diet for the future, but spices and flavor will definitely be added. For the most part my lunches consisted of a baked potato (skinless), a small cut up tomato, an avocado, 2 hard boiled eggs (whites only,  no yolk), and then 1\2 cup of grapes and 1\2 cup of blue berries. It wasn’t so bad just got repetitive and boring but I found it to be really easy to take to work and prepare. My dinners usually consisted of half a cup of noodles with either 6 oz of ground chicken breast or ground turkey with onions, mushrooms, and sometimes green peppers sautéed in olive oil and a little unsalted butter. Not bad but very very bland for the most part. Anyways, as you can see the food aspect for regaining flavors is very exciting! Not so exciting, and I know I need patience, is the overall weakness in my body. When they did my blood work last week my TSH level was at a 127 which is exactly what they wanted for me to begin radiation, to be completely hypo as they call it. A normal TSH test you typically want under 3.5 or 3.8 and my number was clearly through the roof. This unfortunately has been a big struggle for me which I think is part of the reason I didn’t post how the last couple of weeks have gone. The last days were definitely the toughest. With no salt intake, my body was constantly cramping and every muscle would ache with simple actions of just trying to get out of bed in the morning. I felt weak, and still feel very weak like my body is working in survival mode. I know it is going to take time for the medicine to kick fully back to the point where I start to feel like myself again, but I truly hate this feeling. I’ve always been, what I consider, a strong, active person, but a simple task of putting some clothes on some hangers and hanging them in the closet left my arms and legs shaking, my back pulsating with pain, and me so completely out of breath I had to lay down because it felt like I just ran a marathon. I can’t explain it, I don’t think I ever will be able to “explain” it, but I equate it to almost feeling helpless, it’s just a very frustrating feeling.

Needless to say today has been of highs and lows and I’m trying to keep things perspective, but I miss me. I don’t know where I have gone, but I to work my way up to feeling like me again, strong, confident, active with just a little bit of perfectionism thrown in as well. I’ll get back there,  one step at a time! Until then, here’s to hoping each day gets a better!

Love to you all!!